1. The Falcon is the fastest bird in theworld.2. The Falcon is related to the Hawk and Eagle.
3. There are 40 species of falcons in theworld. You can find them almost anywhere, except for Antarctica.4. Falcons can live in any habitat. They canlive in forests, mountains, prairies, wetlands, savannahs, and even insidecities.5. A Falcon’s feathers are usually brown orgrey.
White, yellow or black spots also mark their bodies.6. Falcons are known for their bullet-shapedbodies, long, pointed wings, sharp claws, and a short, hooked beak.
7. Falcons have excellent eyesight which theyuse to spot their prey. They can see eight times better than humans.
8. Falcons also have a good sense of hearing,but it’s not as great as their eyes. Their sense of smell is also quite poor.9. Falcons are diurnal birds.
That means theyhunt and fly during the day. 10. Despitetheir size, Falcons are very strong. They can carry prey that is six timesheavier than them and can also fly long distances.
11. Falconshave a “tooth” at the end of their beaks which is very sharp. That’s why,unlike other birds, falcons use their beaks instead of their claws as weapons. 12. Aftereating, Falcons would sometimes spit out the bones and fur they accidentallyswallowed while eating their prey. 13. Falconsare carnivores. That means they only eat meat.
While they are not picky eaters, their meals usually consist of rodents,frogs, and fishes.14. Falconsare solitary creatures. That means they like to be alone. Falcons only meet upwith one another when they want to attract mates or start families. 15. Falconsare monogamous. That means they mate for life.
16. Everyyear, Falcons meet up with their mates and dance together in the sky. Thereason they do this is so that they can rebuild their bond.17. Falconscan build their nests almost anywhere. For example, trees, cliffs, and evenskyscrapers.18.
Femalefalcons are larger than males and can lay 2 to 5 eggs. These eggs can be white,red or brown.19. Boththe male and female falcon takes care of the chicks until they’re big enough tofend for themselves. 20. Falconscan live up to 12 to 20 years in the wild.
In captivity, they can live up to 25years.21. Eventhough Falcons are close to the top of the food chain, they still have enemies.These enemies are larger birds such as eagles and owls. Falconry was created basedon these birds. It is a sport where humans hunt with the help of trainedfalcons.
This sport has been around for 3,500 years.