1. Introduction The medical industry today has transformed in recent years as a result of the inclining demography scale. This has led the government to rethink of the country’s healthcare expenditures whether they are able to meet with the demand to the health and medical industry (Group 2011). Pinnacle hospital is structured with a holistic healthcare features that will be establish with the most advance technologies and high standard of service to patients, locals and overseas. Moving towards the growing ageing populations, the main emphasize will be on enforcing of the health awareness of the public.2. Objective The team objective is to identify the future knowledge workers role and skills requirement so as to be a successful workers in future 2020.
3. PESTEL Analysis in year 2020 In analysing the external environment, the team has applied using the PESTEL tool to analyse each of the components of the external environment and identify the changes that will be establish in 2020. 3. 1) Political factors In 2020, the government will be spending approximately $10 million per year on healthcare. Higher subsidies granted to lower-income families with illness.Furthermore, the government have also planned to ramp up the infrastructure and manpower by recruiting 20,000 healthcare workers and 3,700 hospital beds, creating more jobs opening (HSA 2007-2011). Government will also look into working closely with private hospital on bed leasing (source: MOH healthcare 2020 Masterplan).
3. 2) Economic factors Population will increase, hence, the standard of living will increase as well. The government remains stable and provides strong support in funding capitals to healthcare sector that attracts more foreigners to opt for medical advice in Singapore and higher recruitment (Channelnewsasia, 2013).3. 3) Social Issues such as more ageing population in 2020, with over 25% of its population above the age of 65 years old, parallel to several other developed countries around the world that has a distended grey population. As more foreigners are coming into Singapore, Singapore will be a multi racial country with English as a common language that is universally recognize. 3. 4) Technological In future, new invention will be coming in, thus, the technology will be advancing.
There will be robotic system to assist in surgeon for effective and efficient surgery.Furthermore, there will be web-cam system installed for the patients to interact with their love ones. Patients may monitor their health condition simply with an affordable personal pocket size device consist of sensors, actuators and mechanisms. It also helps to alarm the hospital in any case of emergency instead of reaching a phone to dial for emergency. 3. 5) Ecology In 2020, solar panels will be able to substitute the usage of electricity. Implementing the solar energy system will be useful to conserve energy and save high cost of electrical maintenance for the hospital.Organics products will be use instead of chemical content to patients with allergy.
3. 6) Legal More Act to implement the control, licensing and inspection of private hospitals, medical clinics, clinical laboratories and healthcare establishments (Attorney General’s Chambers, 2011). 4. Current Roles and Knowledge The team has selected four of the major roles in Pinnacle hospital to analyze their skill and knowledge acquired to comply with the duties they handle.
They are: the Doctors, Nurses, Operation Manager and Customer Relation Executive. 4. 1) Doctors.The doctors are expertise in their medical field as they are required to diagnose the patients’ illness and vital to make complex decisions. Moreover, doctors are trained and required to be skillful and knowledgeable in handling major/minor op surgery. 4. 2) Nurses Nurses have many multiple roles in the hospital. They are to perform the role of assisting the doctors in surgery, checking of patient’s records, being a caretaker and passing of information to both doctors and patients.
They also have to handle some minor cases of patients such as washing wounds and injection.Therefore, nurses have to obtain these basic skills in their medical practice. 4. 3) Operation Manager Operation manager are mainly in-charge on policy change and ensure effective communication and collaboration among departments. In addition, operation manager have to ensure there is enough resources in the hospital and make sure the hospital is running smoothly. 4. 4) Customer Relation Officer For a Customer Relation Officer, they are required to help to manage the front desk with various admin support and enquiries from the patients.They also have to collect information and data of the patient’s problems and concern.
5. Future Roles and Knowledge Acquiring skills for the following roles in the year 2020: 5. 1) Doctors Technology seems to be advanced in year 2020. Robots will be the doctors’ assistants in operation theatre, which will enhance the efficiency of the surgeon. In any case of technical fault, the doctors will be the one to fix the problem.
Therefore, the doctors are required to obtain new skills in technology so as to fix the minor problem of the robot if anything goes wrong.Basic knowledge in operating of the robot is necessary. It is to ensure that the robots are in good condition to assist the doctors in surgeon smoothly. 5. 2) Nurses Nurses are formerly assistance to doctor to retrieve patient’s record and in Op theater.
In 2020, ?With centralized database, nurses are to train to use the system effectively to obtain patients’ record ? Cloud-based text messaging system that nurses will have to send out update the status of patient undergoing surgery to family or friends to reduce the waiting time.?Nurses will learn to communicate with patients via online consultation web with patient’s family members who well-versed in IT to ensure correct details are conveyed and no error made. 5.
3) Operations Manager Currently, routine check will all be taken over with centralised method and will be fully automatic via sensors system. Mini tracking device will be issued to patients whom admitted to hospitals. Moreover, they will require maintaining and tracking the patients’ attendance and do arrangement for land transfers for overseas Patients. 5.4) Customer Relations Officer In Customer Relations Officer, most commonly the officers face with communication barrier.
In 2020, these cases will be resolved via the following: ? officers has to be train to be more linguistic as more foreigners are expected to seek medical help ? Officers can be train to educate patients on the use of e-booking online as it reduce waiting time and crowding the holding area. 6. Conclusion In conclusion, the demographic graph is inclining towards ageing population as such it is necessary to create more health awareness.With advance technology implemented in hospital, each staff are required to attend the training according to the skills they acquired to be hands-on with centralized database system and able to assist more patients from overseas whom are seeking medical advice in Singapore.
It is hoped that Singapore could become a world-class originator of innovative, aged-friendly technology, products and devices. The ageing issue requires the integration and strategic alignment of new technologies, personal responsibility and public policy.